Sunday January 24th, 2021 is National Compliment Day. In honor of that, I challenge you to compliment just one person and see how their reaction to your compliment makes YOU feel.
The key to any compliment is to be sincere. If the receiver of your compliment knows you don’t mean it, it won’t have the same effect (for them or for you).
Struggling to come up with something to say? Find something you admire about someone and go from there. Here are some examples to get you thinking:
- Your smile makes me smile.
- The world seems a little bit brighter when you’re around.
- You have incredible manners.
- You’re so brave to be able to do what you do.
- Your perspective is refreshing.
- Your creative potential seems limitless.
- You’re a great example to others.
- You’re wonderful.
- Work is a better place because you’re there too.
- For more work-related compliment reading, out PMG’s article about Love & Appreciation at Work
Don’t be afraid to personalize it a bit too. My family knows that when I say something like ‘Your smile makes me happier than all the cheese in the state of Wisconsin could make me’ – that’s straight from my heart and quite possibly the nicest thing I could ever say. 😊
There’s something about making someone else smile that makes your heart happy, so don’t hesitate.
About the Author
Beth Bangtson, HR Manager