Did you know April is National Poetry Month? Here are some fun facts to learn more about why we celebrate:
- It’s the largest literacy celebration in the world
- It was established in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets following the success of other celebrations like Black History Month (February) and Women’s History Month (March)
- According to the National Poetry Month website, the goals are to:
- Highlight the extraordinary legacy and ongoing achievement of American poets
- Encourage the reading of poems
- Assist teachers in bringing poetry into their classrooms
- Increase the attention paid to poetry by national and local media
- Encourage increased publication and distribution of poetry books, and
- Encourage support for poets and poetry.
For more information about National Poetry Month, check out the website at www.poets.org/national-poetry-month
In honor of the month, I let my creative juices fly and put together a little something.
In a time where all seems uncertain,
I look to my children for comfort…
for the twinkle in their eye
and the smile on their face.
There they go, saving me once again.
~ Beth, HR Manager
About the Author
Beth Bangtson, HR Manager